Saturday, May 18, 2013

Jump-start Blueberry Muffins


Bites of sunshine. 

Today I woke with a fresh perspective. Through the unavoidable rain and murky gray clouds, I saw the splendor of a new day. I wanted to make the best of my lazy Saturday, and decided to test out a new blueberry muffin recipe I’ve been working on. I thought, “What better way to brighten this shut-in of a day, then by indulging with some warm, moist, delicious muffins!?”

I could find no other way.

So there I went into the kitchen, scanning the cupboards as if I were searching for that perfect component to compliment my secret basket ingredients [like on Chopped. Ooh do I love that show!!]. I saw this recipe on Pinterest the other day that uses Greek yogurt for the majority of the wet ingredients, and was really intrigued. I immediately thought of ways I could adjust and tweak it to suit my household, and taste buds, of course. Another goal I had, was to make them even more packed with protein, without adding protein powder. I have found that Marc can detect that stuff from a mile away, and not in a good way….

I digress.

So as I was forming these muffins in my head, I remembered that I had picked up a box of quinoa flower a few weeks ago, and I have been wanting to experiment with it for a while. Oh I was so excited, and ready to start mixing up the goods!

With quinoa flour for the base, along with whole wheat flour (since I hadn’t really used the QF that much), and some oats for good measure, I knew I couldn’t go wrong. And since I was already improving the health benefits of this recipe, I was trying to continue down that road, by cutting out the butter, and replacing it with applesauce. Which by the way, made these oh so very moist!!

Needless to say, the end result of these muffins was by far, one of the best I have ever made. I was pleasantly surprised by how I could not tell they were very low in gluten, fat, AND sugar! Although we did sort of destroy that aspect by slathering them with butter while they were fresh out of the oven……. Oh my, they were yummy!!

So, after much tinkering and anticipation, here is my recipe for protein packed, blueberry muffins!



This batch makes approximately 24 muffins (in a regular cupcake tin).

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In one bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Such as quinoa flour, whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and soda, flax meal, salt, and lemon zest. Toss in berries so they are coated with flour mixture.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients (I.e. yogurt, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, and milk.) until fully combined.
  4. Pour wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredient mixture, and fold until fully incorporated.
  5. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray, and fill each slot 2/3rds full. Place into oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch. Make sure you alternate top and bottom racks about 10 minutes into cooking time, to ensure all the muffins cook the same.
  6. Remove from muffin tin immediately, or they might get soggy (since there is so much moisture in them). Serve hot, or wrap and refrigerate for up to a week. 

Enjoy!! 




I wanted to add that I really wanted to post photos of these little stud muffins (yeah, I just said that!), but my camera seems to be out of commission. So, I will be working on that indefinitely!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment